Playtest 208: A (VERY ROUGH!) Preview of Major Changes
Playtest 208: (Very Rough) Choose your units, not your squad!
TL;DR - Squads are dead, long live unit-picking!; New unit and resource production model; Warp In replaces Deploy; Some units cost some Scrap; New map
Hello all! Welcome to one of the absolute roughest builds you will ever play. Please understand that this is incredibly rough. Please, again, understand that this is incredibly incredibly rough looking. But, we're optimistic that this will eventually be the final game of Atlas! We're just giving it you in a v0 state first! Let us know what you think!
- Squads are no more! You now pick a Hero + t1 and then select 5 additional units to form your army! We also have moar units! And unit caps have been dramatically increased!
- Many mid/high level units require scrap!
- Expansions are temporarily absent (they'll be coming back). Kill mercenaries and collect gems to get the scrap you need!
- You can't build infinitely many units at a time! There are restrictions to how many you can build at once (and this can be upgraded!)
- Units now warp in! When they're done, press V and click within a power field to warp those babies in where you please!
- You have some controls in your main base to grow your stock/supply/scrap/production capacity!
- Upgrades/Charms/Items are temporarily out of the game. They'll be coming back in a simplified form!
There's a whole boatload to talk about so lets hop to it!
The Gist of the Game
You first pick your Hero (which comes with a T1 unit). Then, you pick an additional basic unit + 4 advanced units to create your army composition! When the game begins, you have a production building (makes all your units) and a main base (makes all your economic decisions). You will use your army to kill mercenary camps to get money! You use that money to buy better and more powerful units! You then fight over gemming fountains in the middle of the map to acquire JUGGERNAUTS! Use the juggernauts to kill enemy shield batteries and eventually the enemy nexus! Hopefully this should all be familiar ♥
First, choose a Hero. Each hero is paired with a single T1 unit that cannot be changed. For instance, if you choose Eris, you're gonna have Sandstingers and cannot change that unit to Spitfires. Once you've selected your hero, you are then locked into a color.
- Default Selections - To help ease you into the Unit Picking world, each Hero comes with a reasonable default set of units that have a reasonable syngery with eachother. Feel free to swap out any unit you like!
- Basic Units - One basic unit comes with your hero, your T1 unit. You may choose one additional basic unit from your color. There are one or two additional basic units per color, such as a melee or a ranged unit that are both slightly larger and more expensive than your T1. This will allow you some flexibility in your early game composition. (These units are listed in detail below)
- Advanced Units - You may choose 4 additional advanced units among high level units in your color AND mercenaries.
- Hotkeys - Because you are selecting these units one at a time, your ability hotkeys will apply in the order units are chosen. For instance, if both your basic units have no abilities, and your first advanced unit is a Pyrosaur, the Pyrosaur's Flamethrower ability will be on Q. And, your next advanced unit's ability will be on W.
There are several new restrictions on how units are made! In short, they require scrap, take time to build, and only a few can be built at one time.
- Scrap - Several of your high level units require scrap. You can collect scrap by killing camps OR by using the scrap generator in your main base.
- Construction Time - Your units take time to build. I feel obligated to add this second sentence.
- Multiplicity - At the start of the game, you may only build 4 basic units at a time and 1 advanced unit at a time. You may research additional production capacity at your main base (+2 basic and +1 advanced per unit of capacity researched). Be sure to research additional production capacity as the game goes on to rebuild your army quicker!
- Tech Level - Good ol classic tech level restriction. Tech up to unlock your big'ones.
- Warp In - Units no longer deploy when you press "V". Instead, you press V and then warp-in within the blue power fields. Blue power fields currently spawn in your main base and nearby heal towers/warp pads.
There are now several ways to control your economy from the main base. Each of the below choices is free, but may only be researched one at a time.
- More Stock - Get a burst of additional stock. The amount of total stock gained increases with each subsequent research of "more stock."
- More Scrap - Get a burst of additional scrap. The amount of total scrap gained increases with each subsequent research of "more scrap."
- More Supply - Increase your maximum supply. The amount of supply gained does not change with subsequent researches.
- Production Capacity - Increase the amount of basic/advanced units you can build at one time. +2 basic and +1 advanced gained per level of production capacity.
- Automation Safeguard - If you forget to research one of the above, the game will automatically research either "more stock" or "more supply."
- New Map - There is a new map! You will notice this the instant the game loads :P.
- Heal Towers/Warp Points - There are a few towers on the map that act as healing zones and warp points. When a heal/warp tower is destroyed, the killing team earns 150 scrap each. Heal/warp towers respawn after 5 minutes.
- Shield Battery - When shield batteries are destroyed, the killing team earns 150 scrap each.
- Tower Kill Rewards - There are more towers on the map that, when destroyed, grant scrap to the killer!
- Camps now respawn when killed. With each subsequent respawn, they grow in power and drop more scrap when killed.
Stuff That's Gone!
There are a few things missing in this build. Some of them are incidental. OThers are gone for good!
- Expansions are temporarily gone. They will be coming back.
- Upgrades/Charms/Items are temporarily gone. They will be coming back in a much more simplified form.
- Passive Supply Gain - This has been replaced by the main base "more supply" generator.
- Emergency Mode - You no longer gain stock when you are running low. This has been replaced by the main base "more stock" generator.
Squads ⇒ Units
- Players will no longer select a Squad.
- Players will now select the following:
- One Hero that comes with a Basic Unit
- One additional Basic Unit
- Four Advanced Units from a pool of units within your Hero's color.
- Neutral units (previously "Mercenaries") can be chosen as Advanced units in all colors.
- Temporarily disabled
- Hydros, Tidal Knight
- Basic Unit: Scuttleguard
- Ryme, Frozen Sage
- Basic Unit: Glacial Ranger
Alternate Basic Units
- NEW UNIT: Plated Warrior
- A sturdy melee unit that begins with, and does not regenerate, Plate.
- NEW UNIT: Voidling
- A stocky medium-ranged unit with a powerful Ice Shield.
- Ice Shield - Absorb all damage taken and apply it as healing for a short period of time.
- Note: Plated Shell can still only affect Hydros, Scuttleguards, Quadrapi, and Aquadillos.
- No longer has Vindication
- Attack no longer splashes
- Damage increased
- Frostfall damage up, slow magnitude up, range down
- Ancient Ice Frog
- Health down, Icy Breath duration up, Icy Breath now has an "inhale" windup
- NEW UNIT: Kingpin
- Very slow unit that summons devastating living bombs to seek out enemy units. Cannot target-fire this attack.
- NEW UNIT: Shadow
- Fragile melee unit that can become invisible. Attacking ends the invisibility effect.
- Eris, Bringer of Chaos
- Basic Unit: Sandstinger
- Vex, Heart of the Volcano
- Basic Unit: Spitfire
Alternate Basic Units
- NEW UNIT: Beetle Fighter - A quick, standard melee unit. Spawns smaller beetles when killed.
- Devilkin Dervish
- NEW UNIT: Lava Spitter
- Can attach itself to the ground, firing devastating line shots.
- NEW UNIT: Scarab
- Very sturdy, powerful melee unit with a cleave attack
- Celesta, the Shadow Rose
- Basic Unit: Wisp
- Vela, Elegant Assassin
- Basic Unit: Raptor
Alternate Basic Units
- NEW UNIT: Sprinter
- A quick melee unit that is weak in direct combat. Has a Sprint ability that gives it bonus movement speed.
- Pre-shot delay increased to 3 seconds, damage increased to 500 (900 to Marked targets)
- Aura effects no longer limited to Vela squad units; no longer stack.
Mercenaries ⇒ Neutral Units
Neutral Units are a class of unit that can be chosen by any player, regardless of their hero's color class.
- Health: 350 ⇒ 150
- Movement speed: 5.1 ⇒ 4.4